Tuesday 16 September 2008

When Did We Stop Caring?

Okay, so for years now I've been really interested in politics, and politcally active in various campaigns even though I'm not yet old enough to vote. When I took part in the Make Poverty History demonstrations in Edinburgh in 2005, I couldn't help but notice that I was one of the few young people there, although at the time I could forgive this seeing as for most people like me it meant getting a few days off school to protest. However, at last year's North West Amnesty International Conferense, I noticed a similar shortage of young people again, with just me and two others from our college group as well an equal number from another local institution. Everyone else in the relatively large group of people were 50+. This would've struck me as odd had I not been told a few weeks earlier by a group of Lower 6ths from my college group that it was 'pointless' and 'we weren't gonna change anything', much to my sadness. Since then it has aggravated me more and more that my generation seems to be largely apathetic to politics, as when I've brought this topic up with friends and classmates I've had a similarly disinterested response. For instance, I asked one of my closest friends why she wouldn't vote when she turned 18 and was given the answer, "What's the bloody point, it makes no difference, it's not gonna change anything." Some gave slightly more helpful answers, mostly referring to the fact that New Labour and the Conservatives are moving ever closer together, but the majority just didn't think political activity of any kind was productive.
Now I have racked my brains about this on more than one occassion, and I don't quite understand, perhaps because I am from a family who have always been involved in politics, and it is consequently my one real passion, and so I thought I'd ask you out there on the world wide web.
So my first question is: Why do young people today seem disinterested in politics and why do they not take part in political activity, be it protest, pressure group membership or [most importantly for me] voting?
Secondly: What would encourage young people to vote and/or how do you think people generally could be made more politically aware [politics in high school etc.]

If you could reply in a comment to this blog that would be great, cheers!

4 comments:

ThrowThrowCatchCatch said...

Strangely enough, my media teacher was discussing this yesterday, how our generation have become 'depoliticised'. Her thoughts were along the similar lines to yours, about how the lines between major parties are becoming more and more out of focus, and having a certain set of political views doesn't necassarily tie you to one party.

It's sad really, I've only recently become politically minded, and even that is very vague and I still have a lot to learn, but I really wish we'd been taught at least the basics of politics at school, if only to make students more aware of them.

Anonymous said...

(Well, if the government adopted the Australian system of compulsory voting there would be no problem.)

In the past, people became political because of fears - fears of joblessness, bad health, especially pre NHS in 1948, poverty, homelessness etc. Even the ancient romans knew that the plebs wouldn't revolt as long as they had bread and circuses.

So, perhaps people are just too deadened and comfortable, via mind-numbing entertainment, dreadful fast-food nutrition, and the belief that they will survive, no matter what.

I agree the similarity between parties doesn't help. I think that making history compulsory up to age 16, and teaching 'civics' would help activate young peoples' emotions and minds along political lines.

Anonymous said...

I reckon it's because we're not taught anything - all I know of politics is what I've found out for myself, and if you're the sort of person not inclined to do that, well, then you won't I guess.

I hate apathy though - the lack of voting I can understand to an extent, as it's often hard to choose when you don't really like any of them...but the protests - I mean, there must be something out there that'll give them that spark.

Or you'd hope, anyway.

Jen x

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm not sure I count as a young person (I'm late 20s, but still at uni... so I might count).

I'm really apathetic with formal elections because I don't think my vote will count.

1) Numerically. With the first past the post voting system, unless an election is won by a margin of 2 votes, there was no point me turning up. Even with a proportional representation feature, my vote is numerically and statistically negligible and pretty pointless.

2) None of the three main parties really say/mean much to me.

Basically I'm a vaguely left-of-centre idealist (who wants people to keep an eye on being realistic and pragmatic).

So, I wouldn't vote Tory unless the only other alternative was BNP (that would make me turn up to vote if they were standing, just to stop them getting in).

Labour was historically more left-wing, but nowadays things such as the Iraq invasion, extended detention without charge, introduction of tuition fees (I could go on) have meant they're about as left wing as the Tories.

Lib-Dems: Used to vote for them in the Charles Kennedy period. I'm not convinced about the people who make up the lib dems. Didn't like the way the upper echelons forced Charles Kennedy out, not even allowing him to stand for election. Worried Nick Clegg now is a bit David Cameron-lite, posh public school-boy who will say anything to get into power.

So basically don't have anyone I'd vote for. I vaguely think about voting Green, but nationally that really is a wasted vote. And although I think we need to be more aware and caring of the environment I do think we need nuclear power, which they're dead against. And I also worry about voting for a single issue party.

(As an aside, it also feels like the majority of politicians don’t have integrity or are “good people”. Exceptions currently are the legendary Tony Benn, and the Oxford MP Evan Harris who I respect for actually coming out in support of animal testing despite it being better to be political and sit on that fence).

As far as campaigning and being politically active goes, I don’t have the time. Also I don’t think my actions would be enough to help make a difference, because it always feels as if the grey men in suits and big business will always win anyway. (Hmm, I’d better go listen to the Mark Steel lectures to give me some inspiration or I’ll just roll over and completely give up). I do small actions like boycotting Nestle products (which is bloody hard), but I haven’t written to them (laziness) and am painfully aware that my actions aren’t really hitting their bottom line much.

I’m afraid I don’t have any real answers to your two questions as posed. Unless there’s a magical voting system that would make each vote “count” and you could give me a party to vote for who I actually felt might represent me.

Good luck with your studies

AcidCat